Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey Day




Two days before Thanksgiving i got the flu--this is of course is after a week of ovarian cysts--so I was feeling pretty bad and I still had to clean and get food. Not to mention Allie and Ollie have the croup and I have a bad cough too. Ben's parents were on their way, his brother and girlfriend, and one of Ben's residents too. So, I was feeling overwhelmed and sorry for myself. And I had to make Oliver's birthday cake too-for the night before thanksgiving. I actually pulled it off before his parents arrived only because they got stuck in traffic. Then Oliver got up from his nap and we were ready for cake and presents. I had gotten all prettied up for the first time in a week--I did my hair and makeup and got him up from his nap--sat down-- and he threw up all over me. In my hair, down my shirt (and by that-yes I mean my cleavage--great!) and all over my pants. So, I went to take a ahower when I realized that our hot water was gone. The repairman said we needed a new water heater (it is only 6 months old) I had to give it to the landlords they really tried, but we didn't get it replaced till the day after. The pilot light wouldn't stop clicking on the stovetop so I finally had to unplug it and use a lighter to start my gas range instead. Of course we got our first big rainstorm-and if you know me--I don't work well in gloomy weather. On thanksgiving morning I got up at 6 to start the rolls and turkey and that just ran into the rest of the food. Then after the turkey was done, I went to put the casseroles and rolls in and my oven wouldn't turn back on-thats right. It was getting pretty comical by this point--so I ran to the neighbors to beg them to use their oven. Well, we still ate--and on time. So, I am pretty much exhausted. I got pictures of the table, but I got distracted once dinner started and so I didn't get pictures of the people at the table---but I can't do everything:) So, the day AFTER Thanksgiving I am thankful for HOT water, working appliances, sunshine, not throwing up, and not being thrown up on.

Izzie's Turkey!

9 comments:

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

Well I'm impressed! That sounds like an aweful day in so many ways! I think I would've just thrown my hands up after the first couple of things. Good for you for keep on going!
I still can't get over how old and big the kids are getting; still adorable as ever!

Steph said...

Wow. I have no words.

Rachel said...

WHOA. super woman. I would not have even attempted thanksgiving with 3 kids so you've got me there =)

Anonymous said...

That sounds awful. I got the stomach bug on thanksgiving too, what the heck! But I didn't have any responsibilities.

I went to NYC a couple weeks ago and visited the American girl doll store myself - I'm such a loser! But I can't wait to get a doll for Aubrey.

Brooklet said...

Wow, the bean turkey is amazing, and so complex! good job, IZzie.

As usual everything looks really creative and great

Jana said...

That is a pretty impressive turkey Izzie!! And your decorations for the dinner were what I expected form you. . . perfect!!! I am sorry you got so sick. And being the hostess?. . . no fun.

Kimberly said...

Hey guys can I get your address? You can e-mail it to bubbyluv@gmail.com. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving. Kudos to you and being such a trouper. The decorations looked great!

Amy said...

That sounds like the worst day ever! Definitely one for the books. It seems through it all you maintained a positive attitude, that's impressive. I can't believe Oliver is 1 and Izzy is 7!!

Michele said...

Yikes Kate that sounds horrid! I know you carried it off with your normal flare and no one could even guess your many unfortunate hurrdles!